Text Size:

It does not depend on your National Insurance contributions. It can be paid on its own if you have no other income, or it can top up other benefits or earnings from part-time work up to the basic amount the law says you need to live on. IS has been replaced by Pension Credit for people aged 60 or over and by income-related Employment and Support Allowance for those with a limited capability for work.



  • You must pass the 'habitual residence test' and have the right to reside in Great Britain, and
  • You must be aged 16 or over, and
  • You must be aged under the qualifying age for Pension Credit, and
  • You must not be in full-time education, and
  • You must not be working 16 hours a week or more, and
  • If you have a partner, they must not be working 24 hours or more per week
  • Your capital must not exceed a certain limit, and
  • You must be in one of the groups of people who can claim IS


The amount of IS you get depends on your income and capital, whether you have a partner, your age, whether you (or your partner) have a disability or are a carer, and whether you have certain housing costs. If you are single, only your needs and resources will be relevant. If you are one of a couple, the needs and resources of both of you will be relevant. You are considered to be one of a couple if you are married, in a civil partnership or cohabitation (whether with someone of the opposite or same sex). If you have dependant children living with you, their needs and resources will be ignored because support of children is provided through Child Tax Credits. Set amounts for different needs are added together to reach the total amount the law says you need to live on. This is called 'your applicable amount'. Any income worked out under IS rules is deducted from your applicable amount. This leaves the amount of IS you are entitled to.


You can start your claim by ringing the Jobcentre Plus Claim-line on 0800 055 6688 (textphone 0800 023 4888). They will put you through to your local office contact centre. They will take your details and go through the claim with you over the phone. You will then be sent a Statement to sign that contains the information you provided during the call. you must then return signed Statement in the envelope provided. You may be asked to provide documents that support your claim such as payslips or proof of savings, these will be necessary for your claim to be accepted as properly made. If you do this within one month of the date you first notified the Jobcentre Plus of your intention to claim, your date of claim will be the date of that first contact. Claim forms can also be downloaded here.


Personal Allowances


  • Under 25 - £57.90
  • 25 or over - £73.10

Lone parent

  • Under 18 - £57.90
  • 18 or over - £73.10


  • both aged 18+ - £114.85
  • both under 18 - £57.90/£87.50


There are five premiums, each with specific qualifying conditions. The premiums are part of your applicable amount. Unless otherwise specified, each premium to which you are entitled is added to the total of your applicable amount.


Carer - £36.00


  • Single - £34.35
  • Couple - £48.95

Enhanced Disability:

  • Single - £16.80
  • Couple - £24.10

Severe Disability - £65.85 (per qualifying person)


Between now and 2018, Universal Credit will eventually replace:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Related ESA
  • Income Related JSA
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Parts of the Social Fund

For more detailed information about this benefit click on the link Universal Credit, this link takes you to the Disability Rights UK Factsheet.


DIAL Disclaimer
Whilst all the information given in this document was correct at the time of going to press, DIAL Doncaster cannot be held responsible for any subsequent changes.

Go To Top