Provides practical help to parents of children with special needs.
Aims: To help parents and carers of a child with special needs of any kind to find simple, affordable solutions to practical problems.
Activities: Offer a free product search service to locate toys, clothing, development aids and other items which may stimulate the child's development or give relief to the carer. Many such products are kept in stock and they can obtain many more from the wide range of manufacturers and suppliers they deal with.
Once they have located a suitable product, they are usually able to supply it and do so at a competitive price.
Supply a wide range of products, either directly or indirectly. Some examples of their product range are as follows:
- Age-appropriate waterproof backed/lined bibs, aprons and scarves for feeding/drooling.
- All-in-one vests and sleepsuits.
- Toys and educational games to encourage development.
- Waterproof bedding including wipe clean duvet covers and pillows.
- Elastic and coiler shoelaces in a wide range of colours.
- Cups, plates, cutlery and other products to assist eating and drinking.
- ID wristbands.
- Keys for access to toilets for disabled people.
- Trikes, including some with parent controls, for children with a wide range of disabilities.
- A range of beds to suit different needs.
- All-terain buggies for children and adults.
In addition to searching for and supplying products, Fledglings:
- Give presentations and demonstrations to parent groups, schools, etc.
- Advises on possible sources of funding for large, expensive but essential items.
- Helps families communicate their collective needs for special products to manufacturers.
Whilst all the information given in this document was correct at the time of going to press, DIAL Doncaster cannot be held responsible for any subsequent changes.