Independent Parental Special Education Advice
IPSEA is a registered charity offering free and independent advice to parents of children with special educational needs in England and Wales on:
- Local Authorities' legal duties to assess and provide for children with special educational needs.
- Exclusions of children with special needs/disabilities.
- Actions or inaction by local authorities and/or schools which discriminate against children with disabilities.
- To help ensure that all children with special educational needs receive the special educational provision to which they are legally entitled.
- To help ensure that the views of parents/carers are taken fully into account when their children's needs are assessed and decisions are made about their special education provisions.
- To help to prevent or remedy discrimination by local authorities or schools against children on the grounds of their disability.
- Provides free, independent advice on local education authorities' (LEAs') duties to provide for children with special educational needs.
- Has a specialist exclusion service designed to meet the needs of children excluded from school.
- Gives free advice/representation at the Special Educational Tribunal for parents who wish to appeal against an LEA decision.
- Provides free, second, professional opinions for parents who disagree with an LEA's assessment of their child's special educational needs.
Whilst all the information given in this document was correct at the time of going to press, DIAL Doncaster cannot be held responsible for any subsequent changes.