NHS Blood & Transplant Organ Donation and Transplantation Directorate
Address: Fox Den Road Stoke Gifford Bristol Gloucestershire BS34 8RR
Tel: 0117 975 7575 Organ Donor Line: 0300 123 23 23 Minicom number 0845 730 0106
Fax: 0117 975 7577
An organisation that saves lives through transplants.
- To ensure that organs donated for transplant are matched and allocated to patients in a fair and unbiased way. Matching, particularly in the case of kidneys, is so important that donation and allocation needs to be organised nationally. The larger the pool, the better the likelihood of a good match.
- To save or improve the lives of thousands of people every year through organ transplantation.
- To ensure that all the major religions and ethnic communities of the UK support the principles of organ donation and transplantation.
- Managing the National Transplant Database which includes details of all donors and patients who are waiting for, or who have received a transplant.
- Providing 24-hour service fir the matching and allocation of donated organs and making the transport arrangements to get the organs to patients.
- Maintaining the National NHS Organ Donor register.
- Improving organ donation rates by funding initiatives in the wider NHS.
- Contributing to the development of performance indicators, standards and protocols which guide the work of organ donation and transplantation.
- Acting as a central point for information on transplant matters.
- Providing central support to all transplant units in the UK and Republic of Ireland.
- Auditing and analysing the results of all organ transplants in the UK and Republic of Ireland to improve patient care and raising public awareness of the importance of organ donation.
Whilst all the information given in this document was correct at the time of going to press, DIAL Doncaster cannot be held responsible for any subsequent changes.
Located in: Listing