SAMM (Support After Murder & Manslaughter) is a non-political or religious organisation although they do realise that some people find great comfort in religious or philosophical beliefs. They also feel that, as part of their support for families, they must attempt to make society more aware of the devastating effects of these dreadful crimes. They do this by giving talks to interested organisations and agencies, by taking part in radio and television programmes and interviews and by talking to serious newspapers and magazines.
SAMM offers emotional support to those bereaved through murder and manslaughter.
- To promote for the benefit of the public any charitable purpose directed to assisting those who have lost through death resulting from murder, manslaughter or unlawful killing of their relative or friend and in particular to promote and protect good health, both mental and physical, relieve poverty and sickness and to advance education in matters of the nature of grieving and bereavement.
- To support through self-help groups and contact between members, those who have lost a member of their family or close friend as a result of homicide.
- To promote good health, both mental and physical, for those bereaved through homicide that they may eventually become strong enough to live positively in the future.
- To promote and support research into the effects on society of homicide, in order that a caring approach is adopted while emphasising the families needs for control, information and privacy.
- Ongoing support for bereaved people.
- Support for those who are supporting the bereaved.
- Support for witnesses.
- Meet and greet service.
- SAMM has no membership fee, SAMM are supported by the Home Office, charitable trust, individuals, businesses and industrial donations, and by members fundraising activities.
- Membership of SAMM is only open to people bereaved through murder and manslaughter.
Whilst all the information given in this document was correct at the time of going to press, DIAL Doncaster cannot be held responsible for any subsequent changes.