Society for Mucopolysaccharide Diseases
Support group for children and individuals affected by MPS disease.
Mucopolysaccharide Diseases are a group of rare metabolic diseases referred to as MPS 1-V11 or more commonly by the name of the doctor who first described the condition: Hurler, Scheie, Hunter, Sanfilippo, Morquio, Maroteaux Lamy and Sly.
- To offer support and advice to affected individuals and their families, carers and professionals
- To act as a support network for those affected by MPS and related diseases
- To bring about more public awareness of MPS and related diseases
- To promote and support research into MPS and related diseases
- To find, by means of research, a cure for the disease
The Society works to meet its aims by providing the following services:
- Telephone helpline
- Network of befrienders
- Advocacy support
- National and international conferences
- Bereavement support
- Research and treatment
- Sibling workshops
- Regional clinics, information days and conferences
- Support to young people and adults with MPS
- Information sources
Membership: Free to affected individuals and their families. There is a small annual subscription fee for professionals and others who wish to receive the newsletter and other publications.
Whilst all the information given in this document was correct at the time of going to press, DIAL Doncaster cannot be held responsible for any subsequent changes.