Action on Smoking and Health
144 - 145 Shoreditch High Street
Tel: 020 7739 5902
Fax: 020 7729 4732
Charity working to eliminate the harm caused by tobacco.
To work with others to eliminate smoking, which it regards as one of the major preventable causes of death and disease within the UK, by influencing policy and public opinion on tobacco use.
- Information service which maintains a database of over 8,000 records giving access to books, journal articles, and press cuttings on all aspects of smoking control. This is used to answer thousands of queries every year.
- Campaigns to reduce smoking and promote smoke-free air for non-smokers.
- Investigates and advises on policies for tobacco control, making submissions to the Government and giving advice to parliamentary committees.
- Helps employees who have diseases caused by passive smoking, and who want legal redress against employers who would not protect them.
- Communicating the scale and diversity of the problem to decision makers, the public and the media to create proper understanding of the damaging role of tobacco in society.
- Advocacy and lobbying of all relevant stakeholders for practical public policy measures to control tobacco based on evidence and best practice, as well as new ideas.
- Networking and alliance-building with a wide variety of organisations interested in health and welfare - especially using the Internet and e-mail communication.
- Challenging the tobacco industry's misleading or dishonest information and bogus arguments, and taking action to restrain tobacco companies' damaging conduct.
- Operating at different levels within the UK, through the European Union and Internationally to secure our aims in Britain and beyond.
- Innovating to ensure our work is as imaginative and fresh as possible.
There are groups throughout England and Wales.
Whilst all the information given in this document was correct at the time of going to press, DIAL Doncaster cannot be held responsible for any subsequent changes.