General Council of the Bar
289 - 293 High Holborn
Tel: 020 7242 0082
Fax: 020 7831 9217
Improving access to the law for people with disabilities.
- To encourage the bar, the Inns of Court, the institutions educating Bar students, the Lord Chancellor's and government departments concerned with the administration of justice to contribute, in whatever form they can, to improve access to the law for people with physical, sensory or mental disabilities.
- To seek the improvement specifically of the present physical access to the courts and to the legal advice from the bar for people with disabilities.
- To monitor progress towards all such improvements.
- To inform the Inns of Court and Bar where necessary of problems encountered by people with disabilities and of their general, legal and other obligations towards people with disabilities.
- To provide advice and assistance to members and former members of the Bar with disabilities.
- To provide advice and assistance to people with disabilities who wish to become barristers.
- To establish and maintain a list of barristers with experience in disability matters which are confidential.
- Gives advice to students considering a career at the Bar who have a disability.
- Advice and assistance to barristers with disabilities.
- Advice to barristers' chambers on improving access for disabled people.
- Liaise with the court service on improving access to courts by disabled people.
Whilst all the information given in this document was correct at the time of going to press, DIAL Doncaster cannot be held responsible for any subsequent changes.