350 Euston Road
Tel: 0845 357 3456 (General enquiries including registration)
Tel: 0845 357 8001 (Switchboard)
E-mail: email@example.com (General enquiries)
Licensing body for doctors.
To license doctors to practise medicine in the UK.
The Council has four main functions:
- Keeping up-to-date registers of qualified doctors.
- Fostering good medical practice.
- Promoting high standards of medical education.
- Dealing firmly and fairly with doctors whose fitness to practise is in doubt.
Other services include:
- Protecting the public: the Council have strong and effective legal powers designed to maintain the standards the public have a right to expect of doctors. They are not there to protect the medical profession - their interests are protected by others. The Council's job is to protect patients.
- Medical register: which is held on computer and updated daily. Health authorities and others use it regularly to check a doctor's registration details. Its purpose is to show who is properly qualified to practise medicine or surgery. Anyone can obtain up-to-date details of a doctor's registration by contacting the General Medical Council.
Whilst all the information given in this document was correct at the time of going to press, DIAL Doncaster cannot be held responsible for any subsequent changes.