United Kingdom Disabled People's Council
Stratford Advice Arcade
107-109 The Grove
Tel: 020 8522 7433
UKDPC was set up in 1981, by disabled people, to promote our full equality and participation in UK society, to strengthen the voice of disabled people in the UK and to ensure justice and rights for all disabled people, regardless of impairment.
The issues we are working on at this time include:
- We work with the government to make sure that a programme is in place to implement the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- We work hard to build the capacity of DPOs through the Disability LIB (Listen, Include, Build) Alliance by strengthening and supporting groups.
- Promote independent living by supporting the creation of centres for independent living.
- We work with the Home Office and other parties to ensure the proper recognition of disability hate crime and to ensure that this issue is dealt with through an improvement of both policies and procedures.
- Provide information and advice on key issues that impact on disabled people's lives.
- We continue to campaign and influence through lobbying and advising.
- We work to particularly encourage the involvement of disabled youth, older people, BME disabled people and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender disabled people.
Our membership includes grassroots, regional and national disabled people's organisations (DPOs) representing all impairments and from all over the UK. If you would like more information about us, or would like to become a member of UKDPC, then please get in touch with us.
Whilst all the information given in this document was correct at the time of going to press, DIAL Doncaster cannot be held responsible for any subsequent changes.