Maggie's Cancer Caring Centres
Western General Hospital
Tel: 0130 537 2456
A Maggie's Centre is a place to turn to for any problems, small and large, associated with cancer.
- A Maggie's Centre can access help with information, benefits advice, psychological support both individually and in groups, courses and stress reducing strategies. You don't have to make an appointment, or be referred, and everything they offer is free of charge. Maggie's is there for anybody who feels the need for help, which includes those who love and look after someone with cancer, who often feel as frightened and vulnerable as those who actually have the disease.
- Provide support through information giving and using this to draw out and then reduce fears and concerns remains fundamental to the Maggie's Centres programme.Help people to understand that they have a very good idea what you're going through.
- The services they provide are now recognised as a vital component of cancer care in the UK. All their funding comes from voluntary donations.
- Provide psychological support, relaxation and stress management, nutrition and benefits advice, expressive art and writing and specialist support group.
- Provide personalised information tailored to your situation.They cannot advise on individual medical treatment plans but will help to clarify your understanding of your diagnosis and treatment and devise questions for your medical team.
- Support specialists have significant experience and training in cancer care.
- They run many different support groups at the Centres such as carers' support groups, young adult groups, parents' groups and groups for particular cancers such as breast cancer and prostate cancer.
Whilst all the information given in this document was correct at the time of going to press, DIAL Doncaster cannot be held responsible for any subsequent changes.